I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!
BIG DATA | Is there a role for research in Architecture?
February 3, 2015
BIG DATA in workplace design is the title of the publication produced by the 6 students in the Gould Evans Design Research Studio.01 last spring. I have spent the last week familiarizing myself with their research in anticipation and preparation of my own.
There were a few things that really stuck out to me while flipping through the pages:
1. Black Box Office Design: What happens when you design a space that isn't designed? Now what does that mean? Well, that is what I hope to find out. From the past students' observations, black box design essentially means allowing the occupants to freely customize their spaces in ways that allow them to be the most productive and content while at work.
2. Community Size & Self Actualization: The magic number: 20. 20 people to a space creates the right dynamic that empowers people in the workplace. How do we design in a way that allows people to collaborate and communicate while still maintaining the comfortable size for productivity?
3. Workplace Authenticity: Everyone who has worked in an office can identify with the idea of workplace authenticity. You know it when you see it (or more likely feel it). Employees are happy and eager to work hard, office culture isn't forced, and people work late because they love their jobs. Some of us have had the misfortune of working at places that don't stir warm feelings in our hearts. What creates this workplace authenticity, and can we design it?
4. Lack of Healthy Options: With the new changes in healthcare and health insurance, companies are looking to provide healthier options and take preventative measures. But what are the most successful actions? Does simply offering "healthy" food options cut it? Or should we be intergrating healthy living more directly into the workplace (I think yes!)?
5. BIG DATA: The overarching theme seems to be this: how can we use this BIG DATA to create meaningful, interesting, and innovative design solutions that solve the problems of clients while bettering the lives of the employees that interact in the spaces daily?
These topics outline the research that I hope to dive into over the next 14 weeks, I can't wait to see the outcomes!